There are many today who talk about the love of God who are complete strangers to the God of Love. Often, it’s seen as a sort of, good natured indulgence, or reduced to a mere sentiment. Many people have a weak spirituality or weak faith because they think of the Love of God in terms patterned after human emotion. We are so little occupied with His magnificent, wondrous, amazing Love for His people.
Here are 7 characteristics about the Love of God that we should consider, remember and meditate upon:
The Love of God is uninfluenced
- There is nothing in the object of His Love (man) to prompt it.
- It is free, spontaneous, uncaused
- The reason that God loves anyone/anything is found in His own sovereign will
- Deut. 7:7-8, 1 John 4:19
The Love of God is Eternal
- If God is eternal, then His love is also eternal (Jeremiah 31:3)
- He loved even before heaven and earth were called into existence
- Ephesians 1:4– just as He chose us in Him before the foundation of the world, that we would be holy and blameless before Him.
- Since God had no beginning, He will have no ending. Therefore His Love is the same.
The Love of God is Sovereign
- God Himself is sovereign, under no obligations, a law unto Himself, always acting according to His own pleasure.
- Since God is sovereign, He does as He pleases
- Since God is Love, He loves as He pleases.
The Love of God is infinite
- His love unlimited
- It’s depth none can fathom
- It’s height none can scale
- It’s length defies measurement
The Love of God is Immutable
- James 1:17 – no variation or shadow of turning in God
- John 13:1 – At the Lord’s last supper:
- One apostle wanted Him to “Show us the Father” (unbelief)
- Another would deny Him with cursing
- All of them would abandon Him
- Yet, having loved His own who were in the world, He loved them to the end.
- Nothing can separate us from the Love of God (Romans 8:35-39)
The Love of God is Holy
- Pure, different than anything we know.
- Not regulated by caprice, passion or sentiment
- Not merely a friendly, pleasant weakness, or effeminate softness
- Hebrews 12:6 – He chastens those He loves. He will not wink at sin, even in His own people
- His love is pure, unmixed with weak, emotional sentimentality
The Love of God is gracious
- The Love and favor of God are inseparable
- It is that goodwill and grace of God that determined Him to give His Son for sinners
- It was gracious Love that was the power of Christ’s Incarnation
- Christ did not die in order to make God love us; He died because God Loves us
- Calvary is the supreme demonstration of Divine Love
When the world hates us, it is comforting to know that God loves us – not with an emotional sentimentality; but a love that is His very Nature!